Padabhyanga is a Sanskrit word made up of two root words “Pada” which means Foot and “Abhyanga” which means massage using medicated oils. Ayurvedic Padabhyanga refers to foot massage using Ayurvedic herbal oil. It stimulates special points on the feet that lead to mental relaxation. Padabhyanga massage is commonly used as a precursor to some of the essential Ayurvedic therapies.
Click on Below Video: Padabhyanga
Padabhyanga massage commonly practiced as a daily ritual, especially before retiring at night. Feet are a very important part in the body, as many nerves from many organs terminate in the feet. So massage helps to strengthen these nerves and restores health to many other parts of the body. The marma points are massaged which gives balance to doshas and is very helpful for people with fatigue, insomnia and cramps.
Marma Point of the Padabhyanga Massage
- Foot massage can be done of the day and on a daily basis too.
- It is useful when done in late evenings or bedtime.
- ‘Padabhyanga’ also form part of ‘Sarva-Abhyanga’.
- Foot massage should not be done when you have a fever, toxin-induced coma, lymphatic or blood infections, cold, indigestion, thrombosis, abnormal skin conditions, circulatory disorders of lower limbs, and during acute trauma to the foot.
Click on Below Video: Marma the Pressure Point Massage
Padabhyanga Massage is simple with easily available Oils
- When Pitta is predominant or for those with Pitta constitution – ghee, coconut oil or sunflower oil is used.
- When Kapha is predominant or for those with Kapha constitution – ghee, jojoba oil or sesame oil is used.
- When Vata is predominant or for those with Vata constitution – ghee, Sesame oil or olive oil is used.
Click on Below Video: How to do an Ayurvedic Self-Abhyanga or Self-Massage at Home
How does it work?
Stimulates the internal organs and improves vitality. Also, stimulation the vital points on feet induces deep mental relaxation and the faster body revitalisation.
Padabhyanga Massage is used in the management of the following conditions:
1. Pain Management
Relieves pains and aches by relaxing muscles and ligaments.
Stimulation of special points on the feet effectively improves the blood and lumph circulation. It accelerated the removal of waste and helps in body detoxification.
Padabhyanga relaxes muscles and ligaments in lower limbs.
Padabhyanga stimulates vital points on feet and stimulates the internal organs. It helps in expelling the toxins out from the body. This special Ayurvedic foot massage stimulates the production of white blood cells that play an essential role in immunity.
5. Stress Reduction
It stimulates vital points in feet which lead to mental relaxation.
6. Gastric Problems
Padabhyanga is done as a precursor to other methods that are used to treat gastric problems. It mainly helps to prepare and relax the body.
7. Elderly Care
Padabhyanga is beneficial for several health problems that arise with growing age. Padabhyanga is effective in reducing aches and pain in lower extremities, improving vision and relaxing mind and body.
8. Mental Health
Padabhyanga is known to stimulate particular regions in the brain that lead to mental relaxation and improve mental health.
9. Stabilizes Foot
Padabhyanga removes roughness, dryness, numbness of the foot and leg, stiffness, tiredness of the foot, strengthening the foot, offering stability to the foot, and it makes your feet more attractive.
10. Beneficial For Whole Body
It provides several benefits to the whole body. It helps in improving and maintaining good eyesight, prevents cracks in the foot, cures sciatica, improves blood circulation, removes contraction of muscles and vessels of the feet.
Padabhyanga massage heals the vital points in the body, soothes the nerves, relieves foot pain and prevents the occurrence of various foot ailments.
Click on Below Video: Benefits of Foot Massage
Benefits of Padabhyanga Massage
- Soothes the nerves, Relaxes and revitalises the CNS
- Relieves foot pain
- Prevents many diseases occurring in the foot
- Calms the agitated mind and acts as a stress reliever
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Activates our immune system
- Gives good hearing capacity
- Promotes sleep and cures insomnia, cures sleep disorders
- Aids foot health alleviates pain, nourishes, improves muscle tone, prevents and cures dryness and roughness of skin
- Relieves cramps and fatigue
- Balances doshas
- Good for restless leg syndrome
- Removes depression
- Removes Anxiety
- Alleviates diabetic neuropathy
- Good for epilepsy
- Nourishes skin
- Relieves hypertension
- Numbness of feet and legs
- Cures hemiplegia and paraplegia
- Cures headaches
- Activates metabolism
- Reduces symptoms of Pre-Menstrual Syndrome (PMS)
- Reduces oedema when done in pregnant women
- Prevents the onset of degeneration
As you can see, Padabhyanga massage is more beneficial to both physical and mental health. It only takes 10–20 minutes a few times a week, so you and you’re significant other can get the tremendous benefits of padabhyanga massage without a lot of work.